View Single Post
Old 11-13-2021, 08:45 PM
Bob C.

I still collect cards, but with the sometimes ridiculous prices things are going for these days and all, it is often nice to be able to dabble in other things, such as memorabilia. Just today in fact I received a package from Brockelman Auctions (thanks Scott), which included a 1955 first ever Global World Series souvenir magazine/book. I didn't even know such an event existed, let alone originally occurred back in 1955. And the magazine/book was in pretty nice shape, measuring 11" X 14" inches and including 100 pages of articles. stories, ads, and anything else you can think of regarding Milwaukee. where this inaugural event was held, and stories of the people running and involved with it and so on. Some stories and pictures of ballplayers, including those of different areas/countries competing in the event. Didn't really include specific details of teams/players in the event, and was more about the event and the city itself. Still an absolutely neat item that I basically just sat down and started reading right after opening the envelope it came in. No idea how many of these are out there, but for what I paid, it was a bargain to me.

My winnings also included a 1938 Wheaties football game, that came in the original envelope it had been mailed in, with instructions, game board and original 5 wooden die. Really neat item that you do not see every day. And given that it did not come in a box and was actually just mailed out in an oversized manila envelope with game graphics on it, I'm guessing not too many have survived with the original envelope still intact. A little the worse for wear, but still all there.

I also dabble in picking up other old games (primarily baseball), every once in a while as well. Figured that since we card collectors also occasionally collect things like E.R. Williams, Allegheny, National Game, Tom Barker, Polo Grounds, 1921-30 Major League Die-Cuts and S&S Game cards, it wouldn't be too much of a reach to pick up some of the myriad of the other actual baseball board, card, pin ball, and other assorted types of games out there when they pop up. Have some really nice, very early 20th century games, including a Walter Johnson game, a Christy Mathewson Big Six game board (need the box) and even a late 19th century McLoughlin Bros. game, all original in the complete box it originally came in. There are some fantastic graphics and images in a lot of these games, and some really obscure ones out there, that occasionally turn up for not that much at all. And you probably wouldn't believe how many different known games are actually out there.

If you're ever interested in learning more about the games, and seeing what all may be out there, there's a great site called Baseball Games at - baseballgames.dreamhosters.com
And one of the owners/moderators is a member on here, Butch7999 (Hi Butch). Highly recommend this site if you've ever interested in pursuing this other facet of the hobby.

Last edited by BobC; 11-16-2021 at 03:40 AM.