View Single Post
Old 09-18-2021, 08:08 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Hey James- I won a complete set in 2017 in an REA auction. Most sets like this are arranged, as you suggested, as part of a contract between the artist and the promotor. I don't know the exact details with the Lewis set, but, more recently, our own Graig Kreindler's set was chosen by Topps - I had inquired why Mantle, Aaron, Koufax and others weren't included. In the Lewis set, Henderson may have been omitted because of it being fairly early in his career (1988) - even though he was 'somewhat' legendary already. Almost all of the players included were retired. Ryan, of course, was not, but Seaver and Jackson had just retired and Schmidt was almost done. But Slaughter & Schoendienst without Aaron...that's just wrong. And of course, Ted, Stan and Joe D. were still around in '88 too.
The last part is what got me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe his print that was made of DiMaggio, along with the 500 Home Run print, came out in the same year that the Living Legends set came out, in 1988. So with the exception of Stan, he'd have produced works involving Ted, Aaron and Joe D all in the same year.

My only thought was maybe reluctance on certain players parts? Would at least explain DiMaggio, as I know he could be moody, or at least that's what I have heard.

I wonder if there's a way to contact Ron Lewis. I'm sure he'd have the answer!

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.