View Single Post
Old 04-14-2024, 11:25 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
I think you are misinterpreting my doubt. When I added that it was in reference toward it being modern because no one cared at the time. If you made this currently as an artist you may do a cya move.

The wear on this coin prior to engraving would likely not suggest it was done in the 19th century. It could have been in the early 1900s as suggested by the op. I simply do not know, I am only throwing out options. Other than to deface the obverse and show there was nothing but artistic reason for changing the coin I cannot guess of a reason to purposely remove the letter.
I understand what you originally stated. I just wanted to point out the anomalies of the law versus reality.

I would suspect that the 'T' could have been removed back then. The person may have been trying to alter the words to read something else and it did not work. Those punches into the 'S' and the gash in the '2' appear to be attempts to modify them.

We will never know. The skepticism is warranted. Too many collectors in various fields look at an item and try to prove its legitimacy by what they find 'right' with an item rather than what is 'wrong' with the item. I would much rather take the latter approach than the former.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”