View Single Post
Old 11-04-2020, 08:15 PM
Jim McKinley

Default "PSA Guarantee" - What would you do?

Curious to know the groups opinion on something. I recently discovered that one of my PSA cards of Hugh "Fireman" Casey graded as a PSA 8 is probably trimmed (see photo's below for specifics). I have owned the card for over a year (I bought it already graded) but recently bought a raw version of the same card which made me think that my card is trimmed (on three sides!!!).

My question is, what do I do now? I can:

A) Try to find the seller on eBay and see if I can get a refund
B) See if I can take advantage of PSA's "guarantee"
C) Do nothing

Couple of facts to consider:

1) The 1947 Tip Top Bread cards were exactly that... cards put in with loaves of bread. As such, the condition of them is usually poor. Of the 900 or so cards PSA has graded, 70% of them are PSA 4 or less. In fact, there are only two PSA 8's ever graded (with none higher) - the one below and one other

2) I am trying to build the first ever PSA registry set of the 1947 Tip Tops (at least that I know of)

3) PSA's SMR values the card at $135 which is way low for what I would expect a PSA 8 to be valued. There are simply not a lot of transactions. If I took advantage of the guarantee, I would not be able to replace the card

My gut is to get my other copy graded, keep the PSA 8 but pull it out of the registry to be fair to others.

Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PSA 1.JPG (57.6 KB, 884 views)
File Type: jpg PSA 2.JPG (46.3 KB, 881 views)