View Single Post
Old 07-03-2006, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Default What season would you like to see, if I loaned you a time machine?

Posted By: Joann

20th Century? Maybe 1916 or so. Ruth is pitching and hitting home runs. Tiger Stadium, Fenway and Wrigley are all up and running.

When I go to older stadia now, the one thing that's hard for me to picture in my mind when it comes to Ruth, Cobb, etc, is that they played ... in color. lolol. That seems so obvious. But all our photos and newsreels are black and white. And when I look at modern players in these parks, I have to consciously tell myself that back then it looked really just like this - just as green and blue and colorful. Somehow that's difficult for me, so I'd like to be able to sit in Tiger Stadium and see Cobb and the rest in color.

Seeing the teams and players from the vintage card hey-day of 1908 to about 1912 would be great, but I think I'd still trade ahead a few years to see Ruth. Hit the mid-teens and you kind of get both worlds.

19th Century? I'll take two trips in the machine! lol. I'd like to see something from the early 1870's, before gloves were common. Imagine a shortstop being able to dive either to his right or left, without a glove hand predominating - just trying to knock it down - or an outfielder trying for an over-the-shoulder barehanded. Also, pitchers still threw underhanded and from closer, umps sat in lawn chairs on the sideline, etc etc.

So .. curiosity of the game - early 1870's. Curiosity for players, teams and stadia - mid-19teens.

Joann