View Single Post
Old 07-22-2022, 10:37 AM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
I am also with you on waiting periods even if they help in a small case (I say that only in example, I do not know if they will help...but waiting a couple days in a depression circle can't hurt as it gives time to seek help. Sadly those requests are often overlooked, but that is for another discussion.)
Justin, this is my point entirely, along with the need for a REAL commitment to MH care. The point that was trying to be made (not a fact by any stretch, as info is only obtainable via anecdotal reporting by friends/family and failed attempt survivors) is that most MH professionals who analyze the subset of suicides by firearms suggest that a large number are 'spur of the moment' decisions that may have been prevented without access to that particular firearm at that time. Can anything be done to prevent these instances that are truly effective? Who knows.

It appeared that an attempt was made to pooh-pooh the suicide by gun rate, by pointing out that someone could be successful in countless other ways. IMO, the stat of overall suicide rate in relation to all countries is virtually meaningless in this discussion. The fact that the US is in the top tier overall, and #1 in firearm use, seems that we have several significant factors involved.

Also, I am intimately aware of the stress that those who are in the MH community experience. I commend you on your service. It is not a job it is a calling. People don't realize the enormous emotional capital that is expended daily.