View Single Post
Old 07-26-2022, 11:27 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Because I am not familiar with the other two products. Even though I remember as a much younger person we had Tab and Fanta here in Canada. But I do not believe I have ever seen those two products with hockey players on them. So did these other two products release hockey players on their caps as well.Thanks.
After doing a bit of digging, I'm pretty sure the hockey was just Coke and Sprite.

They did other sports on most brands, but most of those were later in the 60's. Fresca wasn't introduced until 1966 so that's out.
Tab was introduced in 63, and if the Hockey set was actually a 63-4 set I just don't see Tab being added so late.

Fanta is a strange one, started out as a Coke substitute in Germany during the 30's, discontinued postwar but brought back in some areas in 55. They did Orange Grape, Rootbeer.... Now up to something like 200 flavors worldwide.
There were Fanta caps for Football in the mid 60's. But I didn't find any info on when it was brought back as a brand in the US, let alone Canada. I guess it's possible, but was probably brought back too late. Imagine rolling out both a new diet brand in 63, AND a new flavored soda brand at nearly the same time... I think they were too smart for that, the ad expenses to build the brands would have been brutal.
So I'd guess Fanta didn't hit US/Canada until maybe 66?

Add to that the local bottlers making some of the decisions about the sports caps. Here in the Boston area there were a few bottling plants. I think 6 maybe 7? I'd have to check my lists. None of them did the 67 Red Sox caps on anything except Coke. Or if they have, I've never seen one.