View Single Post
Old 10-22-2022, 04:33 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
Fair enough Hank. It's just been accepted for so long that they were Egytienne Straights premiums that I had to mention it. I'd also like to see more concrete evidence of it myself now.
Lew Lipset wrote about this 40 years ago in Vol. 3 of his Encyclopedia. With props to Lew, his write-up on the set included this:

"Recently [before 1983] a Cleveland collector discovered a box of B18s, all folded with the entire strip intact. The B18 was in a small envelope and the strip reads 'an Attractive Novelty Attached to This Package'. According to the writing on the box, the brand name associated with B18 is Egyptienne Straights Cigarettes, which solves a long unanswered question".

FWIW, when I did some online research of old newspapers, I saw an ad for that brand advertising a tie clasp and later an American flag, but no ads for the B18s, at least in 1914.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.