View Single Post
Old 08-16-2022, 10:43 AM
Ken Marks

Default Mays

thanks Wayne. Mays, like a lot of us kids, was my favorite player growing up. So I kept it. I also have this old beat=up little league baseball he signed that day too. Still has my name written in large red block letters that were on the ball when he signed.

I have two brothers who were there with my Dad and myself that day (and the 49ers day too). I asked them their recollection on when the Mays appearance happened and they agreed it was around 1962, They even remembered also what a cold overcast day it was. So not sure where that WorthPoint 1967 citation came from, but it is not accurate (unless there was another promotion then, but that is pretty hard to believe as we would have known about it as Raley's was the grocery store the family shopped at).

Undoubtably, they had to have printed decent number of those photos for this appearance. And likely they were not all used as there was a very limited number of folks that day at the store we went too. So the Raley's probably distributed the unused to customers later in some manner I would imagine (un signed). But no knowledge of that.