View Single Post
Old 04-03-2020, 10:47 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughlinfan View Post
I agree - 1978 is certainly not the dark ages for collecting - seems we know a ton of stuff about even obscure issues from the late 70s on. We never had Good Humor trucks or ice cream treats in my neck of the woods where I grew up (Western NY). I am under the assumption that these were centered in the tri-state area (NY,NJ,PA), and it seems like for many years, whenever I picked up a few of these, they would invariably be from one of those states. And just to add to the confusion, I just looked up on the Good Humor website and found this nugget -

"1976

Good Humor sold its fleet of vehicles in 1976 to focus on selling in grocery stores. Some of the trucks were purchased by ice cream distributors and others were sold to individuals. The trucks sold for $1,000 - $3,000 each."

Of course that would be two years before these were issued. Baffling.
Good Humor had the smaller trucks where the freezer doors were in 2 or 3 spots on the body and the driver had to reach in and fish around for your ice cream treat. Then went to more of a step van style with a wide open window area at some point that was much more like a store on wheels. We had both but mostly the latter in the 70's but Colonial Maid was the big operation by me (Nassau County, Long Island) and I always bought Topps packs and confections from them in the early 70's and they usually had a pretty good selection of baseball and non-sports. Football too later in the year, can't recall Hockey or Basketball on Colonial Maid though. It's weird though that this can't be tracked.

UPDATE-After I posted this I found a Wikipedia citation (and another one elsewhere from a different source) that said the fleet was sold in '78 (Jones, Geoffrey (2005). Renewing Unilever:Transformation and Tradition.) Maybe they sold the trucks and the promotion was cancelled?

FURTHER UPDATE 9/21/79 Baltimore Sun article seems more on point than prior citations. Half the fleet sold n'78, NY Metro area trucks vanished, etc. Interesting read for those of us of a certain age no matter how you feel about the WS cards:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg good humor.jpg (79.9 KB, 434 views)

Last edited by toppcat; 08-18-2020 at 09:39 PM.