Thread: ODDBALL items!
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2021, 02:43 AM
John

Feel free to delete if this isn't oddball enough.

Back in 1986 I ordered one of these card hats from Fleer thru their wrapper offer...I put some Fleer Famous Feats cards in it and even wore it to a couple regional card shows back then...I still have it but I have never seen another one...was I the only one who spent $3 on this thing or the only one who is willing to admit it? [emoji1]

Until proven otherwise, I will claim this is the only one that still exists...The Holy Grail of Baseball Card Haberdashery!

I just can't imagine why these didn't catch on...who wouldn't want to bend and squeeze 8 of their most prized cards into sections of a cheaply designed plastic and cloth hat and proudly wear them on their head? Of course if you did, you would need to rely on the skills of your local weather prognosticator or have easy access to an umbrella at all times. Rumor is rain soaked cards rarely grade well.

I have been collecting for 50+ years and have had the good fortune of moving only once since 1970 and that was less than 15 miles. So tough decisions of what to keep and what to toss have never been an issue for me. I knew I had kept practically all my financial records since I was old enough to have a bank account and they were still in my attic. I originally posted a pic of this hat last year in another group as a joke but now I can't stop thinking about this silly thing and I wondered if I still had the check I wrote for it back in 1986 (if you are under age 30 ask your parents what a check is or google it). So I trek up to the attic earlier this year, move around some boxes and start opening...and within 15 minutes I find my 1986 bank statements and upon opening the June statement I find the cancelled check for $2.95 made out to P.T.A!! I have attached a copy of that cancelled check from the little local bank that ceased to exist decades ago.

So I can now display the original check with my hat and wrapper...however, my judgement in not only keeping such an ugly hat for 35 years but also the record of its purchase and displaying it does seriously call into question my overall sanity.

Does anybody else have one of these hats or ever seen one?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk