View Single Post
Old 02-22-2009, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Default FOR SALE: 1939 Cincinnati Reds Photos (Team Issue?)

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

I'm not really sure what exactly these are, they appear to be promotional photos produced by the Cincinnati Reds, however, their method of distribution is unknown to me. The are definitely period and have photo quality similar to the Orcajo Postcards that were produced around the same time.

They date to 1939 (or perhaps 1940) due to the inclusion of Eugene (Junior) Thompson who joined the team in 1939 and the fact that Bill Werber has the 1939 Centennial patch on his sleeve.

As you can see the backs have the phrase "This picture may not be syndicated, rented nor used for advertising purposes/The Cincinnati Baseball Club Co." and a rubber stamped #. The cards fronts are glossy while the backs have an almost wax-paper feel to them.

Condition is fairly nice on all but 3 do have some damage-- Derringer and Thompson have a staple hole at top (Derringer has a rip and his name written on back), and the Werber has a rip between his legs that may have been repaired (or something along those lines.

Again, I'm not sure exactly what these items are but the photo quality is nice and they are definitely period peices.

Price is $175/lot of 8 photos, cards are also available in trade for pre-1930's cards that I could use. If interested please email to rhettyeakley@netzero.com

Scan:
[linked image]