View Single Post
Old 02-22-2021, 12:32 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

Visually better? I don't think there is any way to display a card that is visually better than just the card itself. PSA with the bright red looks awful on most cards IMO.

When you see a graded card the first thing you look at is the number. Then you scan the card for flaws to figure out why it got that number grade. "Graded a 3? Why? Oh yeah, there is the crease/wrinkle."

When a card is displayed "raw" you just look at the card itself and appreciate the beauty of it. Graders are geniuses at marketing bc even that term "raw" has negative connotations to it, as if it is incomplete without their subjective, costly opinion. I prefer the term "pure."

At a card and coin show in the 80's I ask my late father about the grades on coins. He assured me that would never happen to cards as it would "totally detract from the beauty." Sadly he passed years ago before the advent of grading so I cannot ask him for his opinion now that it is reality.

One last thing then I will get off my soapbox haha. Just out of curiosity I went and unscrewed one of my nicest cards that has been in a 1/2 inch screwdown for more than a decade and a half. No problems at all. I think the issies are when they are stacked and all of that weight compresses. That and humidity etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
At the time you really did not want this to happen value wise, I tried removing a Brett Hull rookie from a screwdown. It peeled the top layer up on at minimum, a quarter of the card. This was one of those extra thick screw downs, so I was not pulling, it was basically gravity. Never touched them again.

Also, I know many people that received the dreaded “altered stock “ designation when trying to grade their 80s collections of screwdowns. This is 2021, not a chance I would use such an outdated storage method when there are so many I think are visually better.