View Single Post
Old 04-10-2002, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Default Interesting Story Concerning Card Trimming and Grading

Posted By: TBob

I find the story wholly credible. I submitted a T206 Chance once to SGC and it was returned ungraded with an explanation that it had an altered, non-genuine finish. HUH??? It was sent in to PSA and came back a PSA7. This card was from a find in Louisiana of T205s and T213s in the early 80's. (Bill Mastro ended up with all the T213s except 3 rare T213-3 overprinted factory backs, the McGraw which I still have, a common which sold on ebay and a Cobb which was given in a trade which involved a Bresnahan Nadja and E94 Wagner and cash. The Cobb and McGraw are reputedly the only existing copies with the rare overprinted factory backs).
Anyway, the point is all the T205s which were submitted came back with high grades. The Chance had ye olde "altered not genuine finish". EVERY ONE OF THESE CARDS CAME FROM A THEN 90 YEAR OLD GENTLEMAN WHO COLLECTED THEM RIGHT FROM THE PACK AND HAD THEM STORED IN A BOX IN LOUISIANA. We met this man when we made the deal and had to convince him that the cards were worth more than he wanted for them, he had no clue. We got a nice but not mercenary deal, he was happy too.
The point of this long rambling story is that what I have written is true so why couldn't this old gent's story be true also?