View Single Post
Old 06-08-2021, 07:06 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmvorce View Post
You are almost there! I’m going to need to make a decision on 52 topps pretty soon. There are only 6, what I have deemed “notable” players left on my needs list: Joe Nuxhall, Frank Crosetti, Billy Herman, Dick Groat, and Smokey Burgess. After that, it’s all high number commons left for me, other than that guy from Oklahoma. So, I need to decide what to do about the Mantle. If I’m never going to complete the set, do I really want to spend a few thousand dollars on commons? If I am going to go after the Mantle I need to start saving and need to sell almost all my non 52 high dollar cards to generate some cash.

I saw a decent looking PSA 1 Mantle on eBay last week for ~$35k or best offer so prices do seem to maybe be coming back down a little?

I just don’t know. Decisions decisions.
The condition of my latest pick ups isn't the greatest but I know if I am ever going to complete my set, then, more than likely, those are the condition I am going to have to concentrate on.

Like you are with your Mantle, I am the same way when it comes to Mathews. If I want it, I am going to have give up something else in order to do so.
Outside of Mathews, the next big cards for me are Campy, Wilhelm and Dickey. Once those are obtained, the rest should be much easier on the pocketbook.

I still need Hal Greg, Randy Jackson, Bubba Church, Warren Hacker, Russ Meyer, Bob Hooper, Hal Jeffcoat, Bob Kelly, Bob Cain, Bob Del Greco, John Kucab, George Crowe, Cookie Lavagetto, Bob Thorpe, Billy Hoeft, Jim Turner, Ebba St Claire and Bob Schultz so I continue to keep my eyes open.

It will be nice to someday say I have now completed it, but at the same time, I am going to enjoy the journey.