View Single Post
Old 12-21-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltOrioles View Post
MLB decided to reduce the number of minor league teams from around 160 to 120. As a result several leagues with long ties to the Orioles were eliminated or restructured (Appalachian League and NY-Penn League).

The Frederick Keys served as the Orioles High Class A affiliate in the Carolina League from 1989-2020. Actually 2019, since everything was shut down this past summer.

The Orioles had a tough decision and in the end the short season Aberdeen Ironbirds (NY-Penn League) were promoted to full season status and the Frederick Keys lost their affiliation with the Orioles.

This was a bit disappointing to me as I have some good friends at the Keys. Over the years, Dave Ziedelis (Keys GM) and his staff have done a great job of bringing a high quality product to the fans in the Frederick area. The Keys are always near the top of league attendance and have nice promotions throughout the season. In their last season, the Keys hosted the Carolina League All-Star game. Everything about the event was first class.

During the 31 season, the Keys printed 214 different programs. I have 209, missing a few from 2002-2003.

Here are a few items from the Keys first season in 1989

Program and Media Guide

Attachment 432022 Attachment 432029

Other publications

Attachment 432023 Attachment 432024

Team Photo including Anthony Telford, David Segui, Jack Voigt and Luis Mercedes

Attachment 432025

Finally a few items from the last season

2019 All-Star game program and ticket

Attachment 432027 Attachment 432028

Last program from 2019

Attachment 432026

There will still be baseball in Frederick for years to come, as the Keys will now be part of a 68 game development league for college players. However, I can't help but think the Keys and their fans deserve a better fate. Thank you Keys for some great memories.
Thank you for a nice look back at the Keys. Growing up in Frederick, it was great when the Keys came to town as it really gave the city a boost. The name Keys is in reference to Francis Scott Key, who is buried in the cemetery next to the ballpark (see attached pic of his memorial). I haven't lived in Frederick for 25 years, but still get back occasionally to visit family, and have taken my kids to some Keys games where they had a great time as the players were great about giving autographs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0408.jpg (77.3 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0414.jpg (77.4 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg FSK.jpg (77.8 KB, 117 views)