View Single Post
Old 12-09-2020, 08:30 AM
Alan Strout

Default Maine-ahs

I grew up in Maine and have been an Orioles fan since 1964. Major League players from the state of Maine aren't that plentiful. Cold weather and even snow in the spring make it difficult for most youth to compete with the players from the south. Maine has produced a few players over the years, most notable are Billy Swift, Danny Coombs, John Cumberland, Bob Stanley, Carlton Willey, Bert Roberge, Pete Ladd and Matt Kinney. If most of these names are unfamiliar to you, they are well known by baseball fans in Maine. All of these guys are pitchers. It's very tough for a position player to develop enough to reach the majors.

In recent years, the Orioles have had a good Maine connection in their organization. Surprisingly, all position players.

Mike Bordick was the first Oriole from Maine when he joined the O's, as Cal Ripken Jr transitioned to 3B. Mike grew up a short distance from me. I coached high school baseball for many years and Mike's dad would umpire many of our games. Mike is a great guy. He stills works the Orioles as a spring training coach and broadcaster.

Ryan Flaherty was an Orioles Rule 5 pick from the Cubs. Buck Showalter loved Ryan's versatility and he was the O's super utility during Buck's tenure. In 2004, Ryan's American legion team from Portland, ME won the national championship. Unheard of for a team from Maine.

Ryan McKenna is a current Orioles prospect that is moving quickly through the O's system and could make his Orioles debut soon.

Gary Thorne is the Orioles broadcaster. Gary was a lawyer by trade, but made a name for himself doing University of Maine hockey broadcasts. That led to doing NHL games and finally MLB games.

Mike Bordick and Ryan Flaherty

Bordick, Mike 1 - Copy.jpg Flaherty, Ryan 1 - Copy.jpg

Ryan McKenna and Gary Thorne

McKenna, Ryan 1 - Copy.jpg 2008 Postcards 12 - Copy.jpg

Footnote: Two other players from Maine include Louis Sockalexis and Clyde Sukeforth. Anyone know their significance to baseball history??