View Single Post
Old 02-04-2020, 08:36 AM
Alan Strout

Default 1971 Milk Duds

Quote:
Originally Posted by orioles70 View Post
As a kid there was only Topps and the occasional food issue for me to collect...and in 1970 Kellogg's started putting 3-D cards in cereal boxes...and I would like to quote their cereal sage Tony the Tiger and say “They're grrrrrreat!”*

John
John,

I remember those days well, searching the candy and cereal aisles for potential treasures. I just recently completed my 1971 Orioles Kelloggs master set with all the back variations. I'm still looking for the 1977 Wayne Garland (last line ends in "knuckleball") and the 1979 Mike Flanagan (57 K's) variations. Selecting that box of Corn Flakes with a coveted Oriole inside was always a crap shoot. It was always easier sifting through RC Cola cans, Milk Duds and Hostess boxes to find those missing gems.

Some of my favorite sets are from that era, especially the Milk Duds set from 1971. Fresh off their World Series win, 6 Orioles were featured along with Milt Pappas. Milt had long been dealt away and, even as a kid, I wondered why he was pictured as an Oriole. I keep him with my O's set, just for that reason.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1971 Milk Duds Complete Boxes #1.jpg (54.7 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg 1971 Milk Duds Complete Boxes #2.jpg (53.7 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg 1971 Milk Duds Complete Boxes #3.JPG (35.2 KB, 133 views)