View Single Post
Old 02-24-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgebuck View Post
Love the 53 Stahl Meyer. I saw one graded PSA 7 on display at the National in Chicago a couple of years ago, but the only other ones I've seen are PSA 1 or 2 with the MK qualifier. Just getting this card in any condition is nearly impossible. I'm not sure, but I think Brian also has a PSA 7.

The 1954 Dan Dee is great as well. That one is next on my list.

judgebuck (David)
Hi, David. No, my friend, I'm not the fortunate owner of the unique 1953 Stahl-Meyer Franks PSA 7 Near Mint. That is a major honey. I tried to talk it up on the PSA message forum when Mile High offered the world class set, and auctioned the cards individually, among them the PSA 7 Mantle. I guess I was rather spritely in my verbiage, but I assure you it was not bloviating. Everyone seemed to think I was pumping my own card. However, I knew for a fact ultra-high grade Stahl-Meyers are very seldom auctioned. The only matter nearly everyone cared to comment on was its morbid centering. Still within the confines of a PSA 7, it is breathtaking notwithstanding. A genuine dream card.

My forum thread responses must have made some impression, because while Google searching "Stahl-Meyer Mickey Mantle" recently, there was the PSA thread with my long, developed responses.

David, you've never bought my E-book on a CD. Perchance if you wish to know more about Stahl-Meyers, you would be well-rewarded by purchasing the book. Google searching the title, Never Cheaper By the Dozen, and the press release, written by my editor, Tom Bartsch, should appear. I'm not trying to come off as a hobby telemarketer, honest. However, if you love regionals as I do, honestly, you should act on this tip. If I was not the author, I would want to know about the book, for sure. There's also a chapter on the Dan-Dees, too. The Mantle card is not mentioned; the basic scope concerns a mid-70s major find of 13 of the 14 Dan-Dee Cleveland Indians, all in virtually Gem Mint condition. Brilliant find. Unbelievable condition.

I wish you the very best in your pursuit of a Dan-Dee Mickey Mantle; a beautiful card, to be sure.

---Brian Powell