View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 01:04 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93 View Post
You don't have to understand it, but bidders DO have a right to not have fraudulent misrepresentations in auction descriptions on items on which they are bidding .

It is not only those who do not do their own research that are affected. Every time one gets bid up by another bidder because they believed the lies, that person is affected too.
JimB
I never defended the practice. Just stated I didn't understand the psychology of bidders who would spend a good deal of money on something without doing very simple research on it.

I also don't quite understand the psychology of flowery descriptions affecting someones bid. I don't get how people are that easily swayed.

When I do my own auctions on Ebay I try to keep my descriptions as simple as possible. This is what it is, this is the general condition, If there's any important or relevant details I add them, if it's an obscure figure I might throw in a short history of one or two sentences at most, here's a big picture of the item, if you like it, bid on it.

Closest thing to flowery I get is: "Great Image", "Wonderful Pose", "Nice Shot". I try to keep the meaningless exposition at 5 words or less.

Also, not being a graded card collector or dealer, I lack the understanding of the "none graded higher" importance. Even if there is "none graded higher" today, there could easily be 6 graded higher by tomorrow (unless it's a 10 of course), and yes I know what I just said is an exaggeration for effect.