View Single Post
Old 11-06-2014, 09:59 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
When a seller at the end of all negotiations with all possible sellers ends up 'keeping the card' Can we all agree the seller was not willing to sell the card at market price....

Nope.

The issue I have with this is the assumption that there is a 'market' generating a 'market price' that an unreasonable vendor refuses to meet. That doesn't make real world sense to me. If there is a genuine market price that means there are plenty of recent sales in a ready marketplace, and therefore plenty of examples to choose from. If that is the case, then there is no logic behind the buyer dickering with the seller over the item; the buyer can just move onto the next example. The "I'll just keep it" negotiating scenario makes sense only if the item is sufficiently difficult to find to make it worthwhile to go back and forth, but in that case by definition there is no 'market' and therefore no 'market price' that can be relied on. Look, I had a tough though not rare card for sale and I went through the same sort of haggling with a wannabe buyer. He cited me this and that resource and I came back to the same position every time: if you can find it for that price, go buy it for that price. He couldn't and he paid me 95% of my ask in the end. The fact that a potential buyer was researching prices, haggling, etc., disproves the existence of a ready market for the card, hence disproves the assertion that there is a market price.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...