View Single Post
Old 06-16-2023, 01:29 PM
Tony Baldwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
Hi, Tony. My advice would be go for your favorite-looking card, the 1953 Topps Mickey. Since you've said you are picky on condition and want a nice one, stay away from the Berk Ross, by all means. The cardstock is very cheap and tones terribly. You won't find one centered to save your life. It just looks like a rinky-dink card. Granted, the picture they used is the same as the one Bowman patterned their 1951 painting, but man, if you get the Berk Ross, you'll see what I mean and be ultimately disappointed.

With a 1953 Topps Mantle, there are figuratively speaking, a million to choose from. I would say go gunning for a PSA 5 or 6.

Demand from yourself an example that has strong colors and VERY CRISP FOCUS /PRINTING REGISTRATION. Also, one that's at least 60-40 centered all the way around. Watch for the bottom left solid red corner, and do your best to look for one as free of wear as possible. Also, print spots---especially on Mickey's face and hat. You see, when you hold that prize, you'll always look and admire Mick's face and hat first and last, so choose one where you'll always be happy with it when you take the pleasure of admiring it, or showing it to a collector friend.

Now, even a PSA 5 EXCELLENT will set you back a decent amount of money, and of course I don't know your situation, but if you're picky, as I am, you had best go for one that looks as beautiful and fresh as can be, with just enough corner wear for PSA to down-grade it to a 5 or 6.

Start the fun of the hunt when you're financially prepared, AND BE PATIENT, AND BE PATIENT, AND BE PATIENT. Then, when you find the one that your guts says, "I gotta have this", buy it.

I will end with this. Even if you go for a PSA 5 or 6, if the card is as nice as I've advised you to go for, chances are the seller will know that too, as well as the other several hundred Mickey Mantle maniacs who want it as well. A great-looking PSA 5 or 6 will carry a premium to the usual price, and it WILL be worth it, buddy. I never got "a good deal" on a card that I felt I HAD to have, and mesmerized me. I always had to pay accordingly, but at the end of the day, month, year, and 30+ years later, I still smile at the card I paid well for. Get it?

Take care, and I wish you well. --- Brian Powell
Brian,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide so much info, detail, and recommendations. I truly appreciate it!

I agree with your comments on the Berk Ross Mickey Mantle. I don't care for the faded look of the card, but heck, it is Mantle. Just really don't know much about the card or rarity of it.

Your thoughts on a 1953 Mickey Mantle are spot on. I will be able to afford a PSA 6, but really want a PSA 7 (might be a reach). This card has always been my favorite card.

Your comment "Be Patient, and Be Patient, and Be Patient" is definitely key in me finding that right 53 Mantle. I have been known to be impatient, then a month later, find something much better. I think I'll know when it's right this time; especially for the amount of money involved.

This is what I'm hoping for, but with slightly better centering. Yes, I know, Dream On.

Again, truly appreciate you posting, and it will help in my search.

Thank you! Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-06-16 153640.jpg (93.9 KB, 91 views)

Last edited by SyrNy1960; 06-16-2023 at 01:40 PM.