View Single Post
Old 01-26-2023, 02:13 PM
Doug Goodman

Thanks guys, I appreciate the opinions.

I can see the resemblance with all of the players mentioned, but I'm thinking it might be Schultz, and I'm still not discounting Camilli, my thinking involves the uniform style.

If the interwebs are telling me the truth the Dodgers jerseys had zippers instead of buttons from 1939 thru 1943, and he looks to be wearing one of those to me.

Also, I'm pretty sure the photo was taken in Boston, based on the Pilgrim Laundry ad on the outfield wall.

Both Camilli and Schultz made trips to Boston with the Dodgers that season, Schultz is listed on Baseball Reference as having made his major league debut there on July 18, going 1-2 with a double and 2 RBI.

Is this a picture of Howie Schultz taken hours before he started his major league career with a pinch-hit double (batting for Camilli, ha!) to tie the game?

No, definitely not, because when that game started on July 18, Schultz was playing for St. Paul in the American Assoc. The game was suspended due to the 5 pm Boston curfew, and finished on Sept 13, which is when he was called in to pinch-hit for Camilli, who had been traded to the Giants on July 31 (he never actually played for the Giants, but resurfaced in Chicago, playing for the Red Sox in 1945).

This is one of the numerous situations where Retrosheet is better than Baseball Reference, due to weird situations that don't translate well when BR transfers the data from RS. Retrosheet lists his correct MLB debut as Aug 16 (lined into a DP, then singled in his second at bat, and doubled in his third), while BR has the date at July 18.

As I explore deeper and look at more photos of each of them, I'm now thinking that Chris is right - it's a photo of Howie Schultz, which would have been taken on either Sept 13 or 14, 1943.

I'm going to consider this, case closed, with hearty thanks to Chris Counts, unless somebody can prove that it's Joe Jackson. I mean, look at those ears!

Doug