View Single Post
Old 12-25-2007, 04:57 AM
Administrator

Default T206 Johnson psa/dna ended early????

Posted By: John

The way I see it there are only two reasons to end and auction early.

#1.) To take advantage of a seller who doesn’t know better and get a card well below market value etc.

#2.) Or the fear and knowledge of being outbid because you know the item in question stands a strong chance of soaring past your budget, if an offline attempt isn’t made.

“I never said...I wouldn't have been outbid. On ebay, unlike most other auction formats, which give you a chance to extend the time of the auction in extended bidding, you never know what snipes are lurking in the dark. Hence my interest in ending the auction early.

I have a rule of thumb when it comes to this I think even Mike and I discussed this over drinks not too long ago. Place your max bid the most your willing to spend on the item if it holds it was yours all along, if not I guess someone wanted it that much more.

“We'll never know if someone else was coming in higher than what I paid--but what I paid was higher than the prices discussed above.”

Not now we won’t, that kind of goes without saying. This is why all sellers should list these kinds of items with auction houses then other collectors have to pay and bid with the rest of us, then the items go to the highest bidder…novel idea huh?

I guess all is fair in love and war and now baseball cards. Just not a huge fan of the way this went down, not all Paul’s fault either. As for all the warm hugs and kisses in this thread about finding the right home and the right collector for the card etc. I’m calling B.S. given the right item/auction and I’m sure all of you would have a different point of view and would be a little less quick with the baseball card collecting rendition of Cumbaya.

John

**P.S. No offense Paul but really on this?? I cant help but laugh a bit out loud no offense…. "Last night, I completed negotiations with a very generous, old school collector -- a huge admirer of the "Train" -- who was, in the end, most concerned with a proper forum for displaying his prized baseball card: a signed T206 card of Hall of Fame pitcher Walter Johnson."

I mean wouldn’t Cooperstown have worked out well if it meant so much to him? Not that www.t206collector.com with it’s 30+ days of history doesn’t have the same pull for making sure the item was put on display in the proper forum for ages to come. Is there legal paperwork to be signed still ensuring you wont sell the card anytime soon etc? Wow who knew baseball cards could be so heavy.