View Single Post
Old 01-30-2023, 03:46 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
but you know, if "bike guy" is sitting at a red light and no one's coming, why can't they just roll through the intersection?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarti5051 View Post
We have about 50 roundabouts in our little city, and the ebikers are traveling at 20 MPH through crosswalks and parking lots as if they are pedestrians. It is easy to see and slow/stop for a pedestrian or bike going 5-10 MPH, but when you are going 30 MPH down a street and a bike going 25 MPH comes out of nowhere, it takes a great deal of skill to avoid hitting them.

If you are on a bike trail or area that is not heavily populated with cars and cross traffic, I have no problem with ebikes.
First, I am the biker guy who rolls through intersections / red lights if no one is coming. But I also do it with me car late at night. (shoulder shrug emoji)

In my neighborhood, we have a kid who owns an app controlled one-wheeled-skateboard. He runs red lights across a road where vehicles travel 45MPH+.

As for the OP's original question about laws and e-bike regulations... I would assume that the city is receiving complaints on trails that already have regulations that don't permit ORV. For instance, we (Spokane WA) have trails near my house that are for non-motorized vehicles only. We also have trails / nature reserves that include noise regulations. The humming of e-bike motors might break current regulations regarding man-made sounds. So the city might be trying to codify a new machine to fit into existing expectations of other motorized vehicles.

IMO, I'm sorry that your desire to be in nature is being thwarted. You live in a beautiful part of Montana. Is that Bozeman? I lived in Billings for 10 years. I romanticize the ecosystems of Eastern MT; the sagebrush, the small canyons and ravines. My wife hates it. She wants trees.
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo