View Single Post
Old 07-30-2013, 08:40 AM

Default JimStinson

Having grown up around the sweet science I don't think there is any sporting event that equals a good boxing match....The Thriller in Manila, The Rumble in the Jungle, Duran vs Leonard I , Leonard vs Hearns I, Hagler vs Hearns those are classics and there are hundreds more.

I have tried VERY hard to watch UFC and other non-traditional fighting events and I just don't get it , bores me to death.

From a collecting point of view and with the exception of Muhammad Ali ...Boxing autographs and memorabilia in general were in my opinion always undervalued. A prime example would be autographs of Joe Louis or Sugar Ray Robinson , probably the most undervalued autographs in ALL of collecting in light of their iconic status and contribution to American Culture.

But the market for boxing autographs in Europe and around the World is stronger than it is here in the USA. You'd have a tough time selling a Babe Ruth or Jackie Robinson to a collector in the UK, But offer up a Harry Greb or John L. Sullivan and you've hit a home run so its relative.

As for the decline in popularity Boxing has always had its ebbs and flows , All it takes is one "personality" to jump start it again. Another Muhammad Ali, Ray Leonard, Oscar De La Hoya or Mike Tyson would be all it would take.

When I was working as a boxing judge in Asia 30,000 in attendance at an outdoor arena was considered the norm. So still pretty popular there , just not here. Have attached a pic taken when I worked my first World Championship fight , that's me 4th from right....

There were over 50,000 fans in the arena that day and little did I know at the time that there was such bad blood between the fighters that the commissioner had instructed that all three judges and referee be at least 20 miles away from the venue when the decision was announced..

I BUY BASEBALL AUTOGRAPHS
stinsonsports.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boxingjudge.jpg (73.4 KB, 112 views)