View Single Post
Old 02-07-2021, 12:38 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Jonathan

I was a poor college student when I went there. Also a bit of a neophyte when it came to travelling and staying in hotels in large cities. Spent way too much on the room. The one thing the Ramones had that I wished I had purchased was a white nylon flag, probably 1 x 2 feet with their logo in red. If I remember correctly didn't WPLJ also make those pseudo cloth stickers that looked like backstage passes for the big shows in NYC?

Up in Boston we had the Real Paper and the Boston Phoenix for the concert listings. It was worth buying them when they came out to find out about concerts, especially in the clubs since it was pre-internet and the radio stations were not the best in announcing all shows. I know you had the Voice, but I also recall a Jersey based paper called Aquarian News, I believe. It was always interesting to see who came through the area, but I was always amazed at the number of 'tribute'/cover bands that did those clubs.

Anyways.....

"Another Saturday night and I ain't got no covid.
I got some money I can spend on ebay.
How I wish I had some show to go to
I need some 'graphs right away"

(My apologies to Sam Cook/Cat Stevens)

Alice Cooper and the Billion Dollar Babies - in Massachusetts they have one of those Halloween theme parks called Spooky World. They would have autograph guests a few nights during the month or so it ran. When you went you paid your $20 or so and were supposed to go on a haunted hayride and all these other events. I walked in and said 'I don't care about that where are they signing autographs'. I got him in 1996. A year before or after I got Linda Blair on the Mike Oldfield album 'Tubular Bells' which is the song from 'The Exorcist'. Dunaway and Bruce I got at the Chiller Theatre Expo in New Jersey which is essentially a 3 day autograph fest. The guests buy their table and they charge what they want for signing items you provide or they provide. I have paid to have 3 people sign the book, but they were people I probably would not have run across otherwise.

cooper-1.jpg

Cream - got Jack Bruce inside the Ritz Carlton in Boston December, 1989. I believe I got him after a sound check. The hotel staff is so snotty they were annoyed I asked for an autograph inside the hotel.
Ginger Baker - got him at Nightstage in Cambridge, MA June, 1990. I actually did not know what he looked like. He walked out after soundcheck and right past me before I realized who he was.

cream-1.jpg

The Crusaders - one of true jazz groups in the book. Joe Sample and Wilton Felder I got at Jonathan Swifts in Harvard Square circa 1983. Larry Carlton signed after an outdoor concert in Copley Square June, 1998. Wayne Henderson signed at The Birchmere in Alexandria, VA April, 2011 after a Jazz Crusaders show (Sample, Felder, Henderson and Sample's son)

David Crosby - got him at a book signing in Boston October, 1988. He was a little crusty. I only got him on this page with his solo entry.

crusaders-1.jpg

Stuart Copeland of the Police. He was a member of the British band Curved Air before The Police. Signed this when he was with Animal Logic at the Paradise in Boston December, 1989. It was the only time I walked into the Paradise during a soundcheck. I just noticed he was born down here in Alexandria, VA one town over and he has six children!!!

copeland-1.jpg

Eddie Jobson - like Copeland he was in Curved Air. Joined them as a 17 year old music prodigy. One of the first rock violinists and played keyboard. Also played with Frank Zappa, Roxy Music, Jethro Tull. Signed at Jammin Java in Vienna, VA August, 2009.

jobson1-1.jpg

The Damned - one of the original punk bands. Brian James was the first signature in the book. Back when I was a poor college student I went to an in store record signing by Iggy Pop for New Values. I did not want to spend the money on the vinyl so I brought the book and a magazine. While standing in line talking with a couple of other people one of them says 'That Brian James of the Damned.' He was lead guitar for the tour. I had him sign. Boston, 1979. Dave Vanian, Rat Scabies and Captain Sensible signed a decade later at The Channel in Boston July,1989.

damned-2.jpg

damned-1.jpg

Miles Davis - he was set for a show at the Opera House in Boston June, 1989. The stage entrance was on a small street in the back. It was not like a regular venue as there was a long wide hallway from the front entrance to the back and people there for the show used both as there was also a parking lot in the back. His car pulls up and the driver lets him out. He signs the book. I ask him to sign a photo and he says "I already signed one for you man." 'Yes sir thank you very much'. Thankfully I was the only person there. The other collectors at the time had no clue.

davis-1.jpg

Doobie Brothers - Tom Johnston at Jonathan Swifts in Harvard Square circa 1983-4. Michael McDonald at Symphony Hall, Boston May, 2004. Jeff "Skunk' Baxter was in town for an all day radio station concert. He was a member of the house band for the show. Signed the same night as Lionel Richie June, 1996. Baxter grew up in the Boston suburbs.

doobies-1.jpg

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 02-07-2021 at 01:01 AM.