View Single Post
Old 11-18-2010, 07:53 AM
Matt Wieder

Interesting discussion. To me it comes down to the purpose of the grade assigned by a TPG. I don't believe the job of the TPG is to assess the desirability of a card, but rather, to objectively identify condition issues. An ink mark is an ink mark whether it's on the front, or back of a card, and whether the card is blank backed or not. Obviously, when we go to value a card, we would value it differently if it was on the back as opposed to the front, just as we value a card of Ty Cobb differently then one of Ed Abbaticchio, but that's not the grading companies job. This division of responsibility (where the TPG is responsible for objective condition issues and the buyer is responsible for other issues effecting desirability) became blurred when the TPGs started the set registry system, where tougher/more desirable cards get a multiplier, yet no difference is made whether the card has blank ink all over the front or a stray mark on the back. Nonetheless, I believe set registries are a side-dish to the main job of a TPG and as such, would expect a TPG to evaluate all cards the same.