View Single Post
Old 07-14-2022, 11:59 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Exactamundo! My tax law professor back in the day put it best: taxes are like a balloon. You push down one area and it pops up elsewhere. It is a zero-sum game. We have 'frozen' property taxes in CA due to a law passed 40+ years ago (once you buy a property the max increase each year is 2%; I pay property taxes that are based on less than a third of the actual value of my house because I bought it 24 years ago) but we have high sales tax, income tax, and governmental service user fees to make up for it. The cost of police, fire, emergency services, schools, roads, etc., doesn't go away just because...they are merely shifted to other taxpayers.
awesome analysis. I try to teach this to my high school students. I like the balloon metaphor.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo