View Single Post
Old 07-05-2022, 08:26 AM
Drew W@i$e

Default Friends giving up collecting in 2022

Over the last few years, I have developed a lot of friendships through the card collecting community, whether net54 or other trading card groups. This weekend, I found out that two collectors that I am friends with have officially given up collecting.

One built a rather large prewar collection since about 2010, mostly tobacco and gum baseball. While he loves collecting, he feels “priced out” in future cards he needs and doesn’t see prices from this era coming down. He consigned part of his collection and sold the rest to a local collector. He may get back into it in the future, but isn’t sure right now.

The other started maybe 5 years with 60s and 70s baseball. Build a few sets, some stars. For him, current financial concerns are pushing him to get out of a hobby and to sell. Mostly likely, he will sell his collection online. He is adamant he will not get back in and will pick up a new hobby or sport.

I know collectors and collections cycle through, but this year, I have seen more of this than anytime I can remember. It will be very interesting how the rest of the year pans out.