View Single Post
Old 09-01-2014, 01:22 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
I think they were desperate to stop the bleeding from trading Cespedes - their offense has gone in the toilet for August. Dunn was probably their best option, and not a bad one - sometimes a player performs really well when initially in a new environment, and the playoff prospect might also get Dunn rev'd up.
Agree completely. I see little downside to the move for Oakland, even if Dunn performs with Dunn-like numbers. Power off the bench or in the DH slot gives the team strategic options and makes the opponent have to prepare differently. I liken it somewhat to when the Twins picked up Don Baylor the last 20 games of the 1987 season. He contributed a little bit and then had a great post-season, especially World Series, even though his time in the Bigs was basically done. I don't know that Dunn brings the same intangibles as Baylor, but he could get energized for his final run, especially once the playoffs roll around. I wish him well, mostly because I'll be rooting for Oakland.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.