View Single Post
Old 01-25-2010, 02:30 AM

Default check this out

18" tall x 16 3/4" wide
Been wanting to post this for almost a month....I've been going to the Alameda Point show about 12 years and never find any sports stuff there...at least my kind of display material. So I find the Bailey plaque..and a month later at the very next Alameda on Jan. 3rd of this month...I find this poster. It's what's called a literary poster. I have the Nov. 1896 Outing poster too and it has a football illustration as well. Anyway....Everyone knows Walter Camp who is referenced, but I noticed the name Wm. B. Curtis and vaguely recalled he was the one who initiated retiring my Bailey plaque...anyway I got the poster home and bingo....check out the stitch below...can you believe finding it one month to the day after getting the Bailey plaque...

So then last week I'm at the Long Beach flea and see the dealer that sold me the 1895 Nov. Outing poster, the guy in the striped shirt above...(by the way, you can read about my Long Beach Flea visit here)and while chit chatting I asked him where he'd gotten my poster...get this...he said he got it at a Out of the Closet thrift store in West Los Angeles for....$15.00!! He said initially he thought it was a repro but dug under the backing and saw it was real. I gave $375.00 and have no qualms at all that he paid $15.00....especially since I emailed a photo to Mark Weinbaum in NYC, who is one of the few poster dealers who deals in American posters. He sent the following:

...As for the Outing poster, I would say that this should be a $750/1000 priced poster. This particular Outing image is one I have seldom seen....

I sort of figured it was in that range. I've seen the image before on another poster..I can't recall exactly but I hope to run across it again....I think it was for either a U. Penn football poster or a Calif vs Stanford, and it was awesome and big and in color...I also recall it because the player in the center with his hand on the ball has kind of a crazy look! Anyway the poster had me on all points, Walter Camp, William Curtis who no one would know but me LOL, and the football image is very strong. It's unusual for a literary poster to be black and white, most had at least one magenta color, but on the other hand I think it's one of the strongest looking football images I've seen on a poster..and certainly for a literacy one. Has some fold you can't see unless you're looking for them....but if I get it mounted on linen they'll disappear completely.

And finally....I really hit pay dirt when I found both articles referenced on the poster, on line, click link below and you can read the actual articles
http://books.google.com/books?id=jV0...201895&f=false

And last, the artist Henry Sumner Watson (1868 -1933) is pretty well listed, see this link I'll also post a shot of the 1896 Outing poster I have