View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 02:12 PM
Belltown Vintage

Very, very interesting.

French & Sawyer primarily created stereo views - 'Googling' will yield many good examples. The image used in the Burns documentary (and also shown in the ebay listing) is obviously one side of a stereoview. It's too bad we can't see the complete stereoview, including the photographer markings, but that's okay.

Leon's cdv is very interesting for a number of reasons. First - there's no reason to doubt it's legit:
  • the Burns SV image is rounded at the top and the scan appears to have not been shortened at the sides (we're looking at most/all of the SV image)
  • Leon's cdv print is WIDER that the Burns SV print. The photo was taken with the intent of using it to create a stereoview, so there is garbage at the left that had to be cropped from the SV print
  • The 'garbage' had to be left in for Leon's cdv print, in order to cover the entire mount
  • So, basically - the photographer took a negative that was intended to be used for a stereoview and printed a wider version of the image for Leon's cdv. Leon's cdv print also had to be trimmed at the top and bottom to fit the mount.

I can't tell if Leon's image is the same (or the other) side of the Burns stereoview, but I'm sure Chris could figure it out for us

Another thing that interests me about the Burns/Leon stereoview/cdv: When looking for a good 1860's stereoview for a test I completed last month, I found that many of the 1860's SV's were created with both images printed on a single sheet of paper. This led me to believe that possibly stereo views were created using a single camera with two lenses, and somehow creating a single negative with both images. Not sure how that could be possible, but now I'm fairly sure it wasn't how they were created, since the photographer obviously had stereoview negatives with images that were wider than the final prints.

Another interesting thing about this example is that it sheds light on the SACO Brooklyn Atlantics cdv, but I won't pollute this thread with that stuff.

Last edited by Runscott; 09-10-2018 at 02:38 PM.