Thread: 1965 Bobby Orr
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2020, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
Collectors that I know usually just say oddball so I've been hearing the term since day 1. Maybe " non-mainstream" might be a more universal definition of these items but I guess it depends who you are talking to. Blue diamond gem seems like you would have to explain the definition to everyone. Your post is the first time I have heard the term. I do see a lot of people using the term "oddball" in our hobby so I'm pretty much used to seeing and hearing it. I guess there will never be an exact word to define these items.
You are quite right; the term "oddball" has been used for decades, I suppose. For a couple decades now, I suppose it occurred to me the term seemed archaic and unqualified to depict their special nature and ascending value. As I mentioned, I devoted a little bit of space in my book to discuss the subject of terms. Being that my book appeals to a niche market, and the millions of gum card devotees describe non-mainstream as oddball, it may be hopeless. But, I shan't give up or in---not when one has some of the huge blue diamond gems I portray in Never. --- Brian Powell