Thread: 1965 Bobby Orr
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2020, 07:48 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
Tomi, your pair of Topps Bobby Orr gems are simply beautiful; however, the Topps Test cannot be considered mainstream. Not much known about the TEST, save that it is virtually impossible "to pass". Yours is a well-deserved A+!

Tomi, I need you to re-think your label "oddball" of your scarce - rare Bobby Orrs. I wrote about that in NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN. For instance, you don't call a Le Mans winning Ferrari "oddball". Or a Patek Philippe moon phase chronograph pocket watch "oddball". I am humbled to own several exotic Mickey Mantle pieces that I could never, ever, label "oddball". Part of the matter has to do with an item's design and beauty, partnered with the scarcity (when it was issued, how many were made, and how difficult was it to get your hands on one in pristine condtition?), and rarity (how many survive at the present time?)

Bro, do not take this as a criticism; rather, let me stimulate your thinking about some of the blue diamond gems in your wonderful collection.

Thanks for the well wishes, by the way.

Your pal, Brian Powell
My definition of "oddball" has always been items that were not out of packs like regional issues. The term is not a put down, just a definition for non mainstream releases. I'm happy that you are also a Mantle collector as I am too. Here are a couple of Mantle "oddball" items in my collection. Enjoy.

Last edited by Tomi; 07-05-2020 at 08:37 PM.