View Single Post
Old 09-30-2021, 10:19 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
If PSA's grading standards have toughened, and I believe this must be so from comments made, I wonder if a two-tier market might develop: one for those newly graded and released for good behavior and for those already circulating in the marketplace.
It's already happened to some extent. There was a PSA 9 Gretzky rookie that sold for $102k back in July that had one of the older labels with a generous grade, then a more recently graded 9 just sold for $204k last month. Same card, same grade, double the price. And the market on Gretzky hasn't otherwise moved. Both were in highly visible public auctions. Usually the differences aren't quite this stark, but people definitely pay attention to the card itself when determining how much they'll pay, particularly in vintage. But not always. I think some of the newer investor only types will just pay whatever for a label, and don't really know anything about the differences.

Edited to add: Note, the one that sold far "far below market value" was a PWCC auction.

Last edited by Snowman; 09-30-2021 at 10:21 AM.