View Single Post
Old 09-28-2021, 08:15 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
SGC crushes it except for prices attained.
SGC is closing the gap though, slowly but surely. The longer PSA takes to reopen at reasonable prices, the more SGC will continue to grow and the greater market share they will grab hold of. There will be some pull back once PSA reopens of course, but by that time, I'd bet that SGC will have made a pretty significant impact on the market and people will realize that they are a legit (if not the best) grading company with respect to consistency and customer experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankish View Post
One of the irritating aspects is that many of the cards I submitted in late 2020 or early 2021 have been graded to standards that I don't think applied in 2019 or earlier. Cards I would have sworn a PSA 7 came back a 5 or 5.5. Not a big deal, but since you mentioned getting all of the crappy cards graded, I wish I'd done it a year earlier!
This is my biggest issue with PSA right now. I understand the wait times, but they have drastically moved the goal posts with respect to their grades over the past year. I have hundreds of cards that were submitted in 2019 all from the same two cases across multiple different submissions, then submitted again from those same two cases, the same cards of other players in mid 2020. Those cards were graded in 2021 and despite all being from the same case, my PSA 10 rates from 2019 were ~85% and in 2021 they were ~35%. My criteria did not change, their standards did. I've seen the same thing with a lot of mid-century vintage baseball submissions. Cards that used to be 4s and 5s are now 2s and 3s, and 8s are now 6s. And I'm not even comparing it to the earliest graded cards with the old flips that start with 0 or 1 serial numbers. I'm talking about cards graded just a few years ago. Someone on another forum was talking about how they cracked open 3 PSA 9 Ryne Sandberg rookie cards because they thought they had a pretty good chance at bumping up to a 10. They came back as two 7s and an 8. It's super frustrating. Their standards no longer even align with their own published standards on their website with the Mantle card photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankish View Post
Someone mentioned CSG earlier. For the time being at least, I am through with them. I submitted a couple of hundred cards (partly out of curiosity and partly because of the $8/card deal) and have been confused by those I've gotten back. The modern seem okay. The vintage cards are more problematic. If I took submissions as a whole, the grades seem fine. But on a card-by-card basis, I can't figure the grades out at all. In a way, I viewed the submissions as simply paying $8/card for slabs and an ID label, so am satisfied with that. But I don't see how I can rely on the grading if I can't understand it....
Ya, I was excited for CSG at first. I love the look of their slabs. They feel great in hand and are crystal clear. But they've been super disappointing since they launched. They really dropped the ball. SGC has been the clear winner of 2021 for me.