View Single Post
Old 02-15-2021, 02:18 PM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
This is, of course, very good advice. In my opinion, PSA/DNA tends to be stricter,---or narrower, if they disappoint you. At times, you may think that the PSA grade fails to consider something that you think is very relevant. MEARS will sometimes take into consideration a great range of interesting details. A big difference is that MEARS doesn't follow the Vince Malta system, as PSA does, and this means that there may be differences about dating, and thus about use. I should say that most of the bats in my collection are pre-1930, so those who collect newer bats may have very different experiences.
You're spot on about dating. I saw a Aaron bat on ebay years back dated to 1960 based on Malta's book so it was a team index bat because it didn't match records. But Mears called it a 1957 and used by Aaron so it sold for alot more than it should have.

And just last month a member on this group bought a Terry bat from Mears. But after posting photos in the pickup thread, another member pointed out that it actually wasn't from the dates that Mears said.