View Single Post
Old 08-09-2015, 11:26 AM
Curt

I absolutely love these types of "cards" and when you say search, I wonder how successful you are in looking for them vs. being lucky enough to stumble upon someone finally listing them for sale. I have a few assorted and regardless of the team or player, wouldn't hesitate to add others to my collection, especially in set form. I had always looked for the 1980-81 Long Beach Press telegram Dodgers/Angels and knew of them through images and/or catalog listings.

Earlier this year, someone listed some Padre newspaper sets from the 80s and in all the time I have been collecting Steve Garvey, I had never even seen or heard of them and then BAM!, 3 new sets appear that I had never seen since their issue in 1983-86 time frame. It leads me to believe there may be a couple other years issues, but still MIA.

Good Luck in your search!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
I know these are technically post 1980, but these are from the 1984 Chicago Tribune Cubs Scrapbook set. For years I thought I had a complete set of 32, four sheets of 8 cards issued over 4 different days, which was 31 players and a header card. I was always puzzled why they didn't include Steve Trout, who was their second best starting pitcher that year. When I noticed that DaClyde mentioned that the Chicago Tribune Archives were now online, I figured I would try to find out exactly which days these were printed. I found the four sheets that I have which were printed on September 5, September 7, September 13, and September 19, but lo and behold, there was also a four card half sheet printed on October 2, which included Trout and three other Cubs. So now I have to search for those four along with the July 4, 1980 Chicago Tribune page with the Rick Reuschel/Britt Burns Scrapbook photos.