View Single Post
Old 02-16-2023, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy3050 View Post
Thanks, I will be sitting with Bill Stoneman at a Gala in April, I already have some cool items for him to sign, thanks to your suggestion the Jersey will remain unsign!
Whew! I whole heartedly agree with the advice from others and am very happy you've found it helpful. A game worn jersey is just such a special item on its own that it doesn't need any additional adornment to enhance its appeal. Signatures on jerseys are best left to replica jerseys, which are then given some personal connection to the player that they didn't already have.
And gaudy inscriptions can make the situation even worse. Ideally in my opinion, game worn jerseys should be preserved and displayed as close to as they appeared on the field. As for the manner of display, I cringe when I see a game worn jersey creased and squished in a frame, with much of it hidden from view. There are frames that are actually more like boxes with glass on the front that allow for a jersey on a hanger to be inserted so that the front can easily be opened so the jersey can be removed for viewing in its entirety. Best yet, as has been suggested, is placing a game worn jersey on a mannequin or partial bust so that it can be seen as the three dimensional artifact that it is. Just my opinion.