View Single Post
Old 09-17-2021, 06:01 PM
Michael

I found it very interesting (after the first two minutes of looking at an office ceiling). I recall the days when Lifson and Mastro sold cards out of a motel room at Willow Grove shows in the mid-to-late 1980s. A friend and I used to go to their room and look through plastic sheets (or was it boxes?) of T206s picking out ones we needed for our sets (as I recall, nice condition commons were $20-$25...this was well after the days of the $0.15 T206). I never cared about the backs, I was just looking to fill in gaps in my sheets back home. If anything, I didn't want a rare back because that was more expensive. I don't remember them ever setting up at the show itself, but I could be mistaken about that.

Every now and then Rob would show me something more exotic, and somehow I would go from not knowing what I was looking at to buying something I had never seen before that day. He was a very good salesman (I am not saying that in a negative way). I think he knew that the friendly sales method worked better on me than Bill's sometimes more direct approach.
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.