View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 06:20 PM
T0dd M@rcum

20 or more years ago, I was introduced to an old guy (probably in his 90s) who talked about hanging around outside of the pool halls and the duckpin bowling alleys in downtown Roanoke waiting for the men to come out. He said they would throw their cigarette packs in the gutter and he would fish them out...he probably had a couple hundred t206s and t205s. He told me a story about how all the boys had heard of Honus Wagner and never could get a card of him so he cut a picture out of a magazine and pasted it on a t206 and traded it to one of the other boys for like 20 t206s. A few years later, I helped broker some cards for a collector in Lynchburg...did great by him considering the time...but among his cards were a t205 with a picture of Honus Wagner pasted on the front. Lynchburg is about 50 miles from Roanoke so I concocted a fantasy in my head of farm boys trading the card and it making it's way across the tobacco fields from Roanoke through Bedford to Lynchburg. I got the card (the guy gave it to me for my troubles...) and I still have it to this day...grateful for the opportunity to share the story with some fellows who might have similar tales.