View Single Post
Old 11-24-2022, 12:05 AM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Perhaps also worth pointing out is that the discount varies by which sub-segment of the hobby you're looking at. With modern basketball and even 1986 Fleer, CSG is pretty much on point with SGC in terms of resale pricing, both of which are behind PSA cards of the same grade. However, if you could find a 41 Playball DiMaggio CSG 8 and the same card in an SGC 8 slab, you're almost certainly going to see a significant difference in the hammer price.

That said, some cards have provenance that can change that dynamic. The 52 Topps CSG 8 Mantle is an example. I think it's public knowledge at this point that that card was in a PSA 7.5 holder before CSG ran this marketing push for it in a CSG 8 holder. I suspect that hammer price will be fairly close to a PSA 7.5 as a result, since the buyer knows with high confidence that they could probably get it back into the PSA 7.5 holder fairly easily.
I probably should have specified that I was referring to vintage instead of suggesting it was all cards. I do not follow 80s and beyond but that is good to know that CSG is hanging in there.

As for the buyer of the 52 Mantle CSG 8 they had better know someone, or be someone, who is close to PSA if it is their intention to get the card back into a PSA 7.5. Not inferring the card is altered but once out of the holder I am certain PSA would treat it as if it had not been seen.