View Single Post
Old 09-15-2021, 10:11 AM
Bry@n

Given the age on the border material and the patina on the glass, I would be shocked if this were modern, I can say that. So I think we still end up with it most likely being a kit-produced MLS made some time during the peak of Wagner's career being a pretty solid guess.

I really appreciate all of the help everyone has provided!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Then if it is the same dimensions all around as the pfofessionally created Magic Lantern Slides, that must be what your item was intended for as well. Would seem too coincidental otherwise. Just never seen one where the material used for the border around the glass looks so sloppily attached, the written description looks to be somewhat erractically handwritten on, and there are no markings or logos as to who made it. My guess is it is either a MLS someone tried to create from one of the home kits they apparently made for MLSs back in the very early 1900s or, maybe it was a professionally prepared MLS, but somehow the original border got damaged and whatever was left of it was removed and replaced with tape/cardboard by someone trying to fix it so it could still be used. Regardless, it looks to be a great piece. And just think how cool it would be to actually have a projector that could blow that image up and project it on a wall somewhere.

A great find. I'd still try to get it in the hands of someone who's a photo and MLS expert and see if they can pin down a date for you around when this was actually created. Since they actually sold kits to make these at home 100+ years ago, I assume someone could have tried to make this in very recent years. But if so, and they were doing it to try and make some money off it, you'd think they'd have used a much more famous and iconic image, not such an obscure and not widely known one. And again, that is why if it were mine, I'd like an expert to examine it, in person, to make sure it isn't the equivalent of like a modern reprint. I don't think it is recently made though, I think you have a very cool item at least around 100 years or so old.