View Single Post
Old 04-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Default 1911 Diamond Gum Pins (PE2)....what is Ryan's first name?

Posted By: don fluckinger

This is a great online forum, everyone's pretty well comfortable with technology, pictures, etc. But having ushered my father into the internet age (he's 81) I have nothing but sympathy for this gentleman with the Rochester pins.

My dad wasn't a computer idiot, he kept books (no accounting degree, so he technically was a bookkeeper) on 1980s PCs and navigated his way through the eras of diskettes and disks and CDs, but when it came to the Internet and all the other media, it wasn't easy to understand all this and still isn't, although he is constantly upgrading his knowledge. Like viruses...they kill his machine. All this automatic virus software/online updates try to keep fixing his computer but one wrong click on his part and basically he ends up throwing out the machine in frustration and experiencing the joy of a new computer more often than I.

This collector with the pins...is a good guy as far as I can tell. He is like Forum 54-ites, in search of clarity and completeness about these artifacts he's acquired. Just like us, except he is not among us in this virtual world.

I know he's not the only Standard Catalog loyalist who doesn't "do" online forums. You guys are the elite (I can already hear the catcalls that will rain down after that statement...but you know it's true) and that is why I throw these questions out to you.