View Single Post
Old 09-27-2022, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
For me, it's neither. I don't really like low-grade cards. I hate creases, wrinkles, tape, and stains. But I also don't really have an interest in paying for anything above a 6 grade usually. Most everything vintage that's in a 9 or 10 holder has been altered/trimmed or is way over-graded, and I just have no interest in playing that game. I want mid-grade cards with strong eye-appeal. As far as sets vs stars goes, it entirely depends on the set for me. If I love the design of the set, then I'll build it out, otherwise, I only want the key cards.
I mostly agree with this logic. I wanted to build my favorite set out in as high grade as I possibly could. Fortunately I started 10 years ago but building out a '54 Topps set in PSA 8 focused on centering turned out to be a much more expensive endeavor than I initially expected as the hobby took off. Once I'm done with this set I likely won't be building another. I'll focus on particular players so I don't have to store thousands upon thousands of cards. I believe any collector should build out at least one set in as high grade as they can. It's a journey and quite an accomplishment. It's an investment in time, money, and if done right, your set with stand apart from any other.