View Single Post
Old 12-21-2021, 11:18 AM
Dave

That's a fantastic Jeffries image.

The borders around the edges lead me to believe it's a very early 2nd Gen. photograph. Likely from a Brown Brothers copy neg., of the original photo.

Not a horrible thing. Lots of vintage images at that time were repurposed from other sources, and Brown Brothers in particular were fantastic at keeping similar clarity from the originals when pulling from their library. I've sold/auctioned several Brown's Brothers copies through the years, that were clearly vintage but later generation shots, and described as such, that drew fairly strong prices. That Jeffries might be the nicest one I've ever seen.

Notations on the back indicate a specific deadline, common to newspapers and publications...."Wednesday 4/17 in the AM". Also the 4 inch specification, indicates the needed formatting for a newspaper.

Lastly the "Frank A. Muncey Company". Muncey owned dozens of publications and newspapers throughout his lifetime.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Munsey

I suppose there is a very good chance, the lithography company contracted that same shot from Brown Brothers in order to produce that card.