View Single Post
Old 07-30-2022, 06:53 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac_73 View Post
People are actually saying Trout should retire now? Just when I thought I’d seen it all here [emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I don't think anyone is consciously stating he should retire, unless continuing to play could potentially end up seriously affecting his health going forward. We don't really know anything about his health and back situation yet, and how that may affect his playing ability and future health status, should he continue playing. He and his doctors will have to look into that, and then it will be up to Trout to decide what is best for him.

The relevance though is that this seems very similar to the type of decision that Sandy Koufax ended up making when he decided to retire at the height of his career. No one was telling Koufax to retire either, but based on his health and condition, along with the opinions of his doctors, he made the somewhat startling and unexpected decision to call it a career when he did. In retrospect, I don't think anyone today disagrees with that decision Koufax made so many years ago. Speculating if Trout may be facing a similar type of decision is in no way saying he should retire. But clearly a precedent, and the possibility, does exist.

Personally, I would hope for Trout to recover completely, and have no continuing or potentially negative health effects coming from his current situation.