View Single Post
Old 08-29-2021, 07:17 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by e6phillips View Post
I don't know why some cards are scarcer, but I have some data that could be useful.

While I have not seen an uncut sheet of the second series, I think I've been able to piece together part of the sheet through miscuts. My miscuts are all gray backs but I'm assuming that the card positions are the same on both sheets.

4 of the toughest white backs - Thomas, Trucks, Courtney and Pirates Team - are in the bottom row of the sheet.

I have no theory as to why that would make a difference especially since others on the bottom row - Killebrew and Hodges -- are not rare.

Maybe someone who understands the printing process better than I do could explain this.

Always looking for 1956 Topps Salesman Samples, panels, hand cuts, printer defects, wrong backs and miscuts.

All cards on a row will (usually) have the same print run, some may be more condition sensitive due to corner misplacement, etc. The population difference, is probably why I excised stars from my data; people who don’t care about backs or don’t even know will submit super stars like Harmon Killebrew and Gil Hodges, while not many people submit commons. All the stars will have higher pops than the higher pop commons, and do in every year.

Very cool work on the miscuts! I’ve been lazy and hoping to find a sheet image… one probably still exists somewhere