View Single Post
Old 01-15-2023, 05:38 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
You're preaching to the choir, Reverend. However...

Again, I think many people would resist any form of regulation, even "regulating those that supposedly provide services to the hobby and its collectors."

There are those who would say eBay, PayPal, and other platforms provide a service to the hobby. There are also those who would consider it a form of regulation to lower the 1099 threshold.
I know, and agree Eric. The ones that would most be against any hobby regulations though, are most likely the same ones profiting off there not being any such regulations. And I can only imagine how much they would try to preach at, influence, or otherwise turn anyone they deal with or come in contact with through the hobby, against the idea of regulations as well. Self-preservation of one's self-interests can be a very motivating factor.

But others may be misunderstanding and overextending what I mean by "regulating the hobby". Regulations and rules for tax purposes are NOT at all what I'm talking about or proposing we may need more of. I'm only referring to those that regulate things that are an actually, integral part of the hobby itself, like card grading, TPGs, dealers, consignees, AHs, and such, that provide services to the people in the hobby community, to better insure they provide honest, accurate, unbiased, consistent, and free-of-conflict services and work to those in the hobby community. But though always hoping to be optimistic, am also a realist, and I doubt the things I'd like to see come true will happen anytime soon. LOL